- Drilling holes in the shell
- Painting the shell
- Reducing the clearance between the shell and the harness by alteration or installing objects inside the helmet
- Not using the correct harness supplied by the manufacturer
- Fitting of non-certified accessories to the helmet.
- Using the helmet for other than its design purpose — seats, wheel chocks, etc.
- Excessive use of chemicals such as repellents, strong cleaning agents, etc.
- Wearer alteration, eg, engraving of names, painting, fitting penholders/cigarette lighters, etc.
- The build-up of dirt, grease, etc — ensure cleaning at least weekly.
- Poor storage and unnecessary exposure to the weather and solar radiation — leaving outside when not in use or storage in the back of an open vehicle.
- Holding the cap by its brim and flexing it. This will weaken the brim and cause fatigue in the safety cap.
StoragePoor storage can impact on the working life of the 3M™ safety helmet. Exposure to heat, sunlight and airborne contamination can cause premature aging. It is important to ensure safety helmets are stored in an area, locker or bag free of possible damage.
- Wash with warm soapy water
- No harsh solvents or cleaning agents
- Use dishwashing brush for stubborn marks
- Avoid petrol, paint, adhesives and aerosol sprays
- Wash harness separately, no alterations
- Visual inspection weekly, no rough treatment
- Do not place objects between shell and harness
- The selection process should consider the workplace operational, occupational health and safety requirements to ensure the correct helmet type and appropriate accessories are selected.
- Ensure the wearer understands the purpose/reason for the need to wear a safety helmet.
- The wearer is instructed on the fitting and care of the helmet and/or accessories.
- Periodic inspection and maintenance is carried out to ensure the helmets are in good working condition and defective helmets and components or helmets that have exceeded a reasonable working life are replaced.
Comfort and correct fitThe 3M safety helmet range places wearer comfort at the same level of importance as features and performance. Learning how to adjust straps and other parts on your safety helmet for a comfortable and effective fit is essential for adequate head protection and product performance.
Multiple adjustments can be made on 3M safety helmets to personalise fit.
In fact, there are over twenty-four variations, including adjustments to allow for forehead size either moving the headband forward, back, up and down (four-way adjustment) on the four lug suspension points.
- Fully compatible with our current headgear and harness.
- No screw is needed during the assembly process; the knob tightness will be consistent.
- It can be easily assembled by end user without any tool.
- Increase user comfort level with additional pad.
- Customise printing can be applied on the ratchet knob.
- Ratchet adjustment indicator.
- For wearers with small head sizes the head harness may need adjustment to provide a better-balanced fit.
- The peak (cap style) for general wear should be worn at the front and the cap aligned horizontally.
- The accessories selected should attach securely to the helmet and not adversely affect the balance, comfort or performance of the helmet. A helmet worn in conjunction with a visor holder and visor may require a ratchet headband to be fitted to the helmet to maximise fit security and balance.
- High noise (hearing protection) — the suitability of the industrial safety helmet to be used in conjunction with earmuffs.
- High wind areas or when used with machinery (eg, bulldozer) — the use of a ratchet adjustment headband and/or a chin strap will enhance stability.
- Eye and face hazards from flying objects, heat, splashing molten metals and chemical splash, etc — use of suitable protective face and eye shields in conjunction with the helmet (Type 1, 2 or 3) and/or the use of suitable ear and neck protectors.
- Low light (tunnels, mining, etc) — the use of suitable lamp attachments, cable clips, reflective tape and other visibility aids.
- Outdoor applications — the use of wide brim attachments, ear and neck protectors, top ventilation in the cap shell and fitting of suitable sweatbands as well as the use of light colours or high-visibility colours.
- Bump caps are effective against knocks, bumps and scalp lacerations.
- Bump caps are ideally suited for some trades’ activities, domestic security, police, aviation, ground staff, transport services and auto-repair, etc.