Following the 2016 Construction Industry Mental Health Roundtable initiated by MATES in Construction and Beyond Blue, The Blueprint was developed to address significantly higher rates of suicide and mental health issues amongst our workers when compared with the general population.
The roundtable group, comprised of mental health and industry representatives, adopted a shared vision of where the future industry should be positioned around mental health and suicide, with the strategy necessary to achieve changes including workplace cultures and legislation.
By applying the five key Blueprint principles, your mental health program will be running like clockwork. This is particularly so if using an industry-based program such as MATES in Construction.
- Promote work's positive impact on mental health
- Reduce harmful impacts of work
- Provide mental health and suicide prevention literacy
- Facilitate early intervention and treatment
- Provide return-to-work and ongoing support
What are the statistics?
Every year in Australia, close to 3,000 people take their own life. The majority of suicides are men and the number of suicides each year is far greater than traffic accidents, homicide and other assaults.
The risk of suicide for construction workers is 53% higher than the risk for other employed men in Australia.
An average of 200 workers per year is well over six times the mortality from workplace accidents.
The age profile for construction suicides are significantly younger than amongst other employed men in Australia. Labourers and operators are high risk groups.
However, the rate of suicide has been decreasing since the introduction of suicide-prevention programs in the industry, shown by a drop in the rate of suicide amongst construction workers compared to other male workers.
Why commit to Blueprint?
By committing to the Blueprint, your organisation becomes part of the change.
Benefits of commitment:
- Implementation of proactive mental health and suicide prevention program
- Commitment to the industry Blueprint Benchmark
- Tender documents enhanced by inclusion of the nationally recognised Blueprint
- Improved WHS policies
- Good policies resulting in a more engaged workforce, improve productivity and lower workers compensation costs
- Company showcased on social medial platforms and the Blueprint website
- Join the community of like-minded employers
- Assistance provides to implement policies.
- All at no cost
The MATES in construction Blueprint Mission is to:
- Raise awareness about suicide as a preventable problem faced by the industry
- Build stronger workplace where workers are trained to support each other
- Connect workers to the best and most suitable help and support
- Partner with researchers to inform the industry about best practice